Stainless steel kitchen sinks are very popular in the recent years. Durable, timeless, resilient are three good words to describe stainless kitchen sinks. This shiny, sleek metal blends very well with contemporary or traditional kitchen designs and various countertops.
If you are one of the many who are looking into buying a stainless steel sink, here are things that you need to know:
1. Stainless steel sinks are popular
Stainless sinks are popular due to various reasons, some of which are as follows:
- They are easy to clean and maintain.
- They are attractive and sleek - they add a very nice contrast against granite and other kinds of countertops.
- They are very durable - they last for many, many years.
- They are forgiving, meaning that dropping objects, heavy or light, do no break or damage them.
2. Stainless steel sinks easily blend with everything
This is one of the main reasons why they are so common and popular. They blend very well with the current kitchen trends and styles, as well as traditional, old-fashioned ones. They also easily blend with black and white appliances and create interesting contrasts in texture when paired with certain countertops
3. Stainless steel sinks are affordable
Prices of this type of sink vary anywhere from $50 to $700 or even more, so that it is easy to find one that will fit your budget. The price typically varies depending on the sink design, size and thickness of the material. The lower the gauge, the thicker the steel, and the more expensive it is. For example, 18-gauge stainless steel double sinks are priced $200 and more, while 22-gauge sinks are priced $50-$100.
4. Stainless steel sinks are easiest to clean
They are very easy to wipe and maintain, especially those undermount sinks. You do not have to worry about cleaning it every now and then as it does not stain easily.
5. Scratches in stainless steel
One of the main disadvantages of these sinks is that they tend to develop scratches, so you should expect it to scratch over time. However, if you maintain it well and do measures to minimize scratches, it can stay good as new for a long time.
6. Noise level is an issue for stainless steel sinks
They can be quite noisy, especially those thin ones, but the degree of noise it creates depend on how you do your chores in the sink and how strong your water flow is. There are now designs available wherein sound deadening coatings are attached to reduce noise.
7. The color might not be for everyone
Stainless steel has only one color. So, if you need to spice up your kitchen, this might not be the answer. However, you can choose a compatible countertop and establish your color motif and design through it.
Stainless steel sinks offer a wide variety of advantages that is why it has become popular throughout the years. They do have a few disadvantages, but the benefits they offer outweigh them far more.